Slip and fall happen anywhere at any time of the day. People suffer injuries from minor to severe, and in some cases fatal, such as in wrongful death. If you’re a victim, never hesitate to talk to a first-class California slip and fall accident lawyer to discuss if you have a case to file.
California Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer: Do You Have a Slip and Fall Case to File?
It’s not always that anyone who slips and falls has to file a claim for their injuries. Sometimes a person slips and falls without blaming anybody, and this situation is non-compensable. However, in most cases, this accident happens because of other people’s negligence. To have a claim, a victim must be able to provide the following requirements:
- The property or landowner breached his duty of care to ensure his property was safe
- The accident is a result of a dangerous condition
- The property owner didn’t conduct reasonable premise inspections for any hazards or risks
- You were hurt or suffered damages after slipping and falling
If the abovementioned is the case, you have the right to hold the property owner liable for your injuries. You can file a claim against them as long as the slip and fall accident determines that you have a lawsuit to file after reviewing your case.
What is the Property Owner’s Duty?
Under California law, property owners are responsible for reasonably making their premises safe for everyone. When an accident happens, the property owner becomes accountable, and he’s aware or must have known about a risky condition.
If the property owner knew about the risk regarding a certain threat to other people, it’s just right that he provides them with adequate warning. An example is a freshly mopped floor that needs signage to warn people of a slippery floor in a mall or supermarket.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents?
An experienced California slip and fall accident lawyer can distinguish what caused your slip and fall. He can gather evidence and establish the at-fault party. Here are some of the common reasons why slip and fall accidents occur.
Wet and Uneven Floors
One of the most common reasons for a slip and fall accident is wet and uneven floors. Such circumstances include:
- Recently waxed or polished floors
- Uneven flooring, pavement, and surfaces without warning signs
- Floor treatments on sloping floors
- Loose flooring, rugs, or mats, including those on stairs
- Bulging, worn, or broken carpeting
- Uncleaned spills
- Not using non-skid floor treatments when required
- Not using adequate barriers to close off areas of wet flooring
- Potholes in business parking lots
- Splashed grease or oil that is not cleaned up
- Items caught in carpeting or rugs that catch on shoes
- Unsalted icy surfaces
Improper Safety Practices
Workers or employees at certain jobs are at risk of slipping and falling if the management or the employees themselves have improper safety practices in the workplace. It includes:
- Construction workers
- Factory workers
- Chefs and kitchen staff
- Custodial staff, including housekeepers
- Manual laborers
Dangerous Ladders and Stairs
The use of dangerous ladders and stairs can easily result in a slip and fall accident. Risky incidents include:
- Rushing while taking the stairs
- Using a chair or other furniture rather than a ladder
- Not using existing handrails
- Debris, trash, and other objects on stairs
- Lack of handrails
- Worn or warped steps
- Not securing the ladder while in use
- Skipping steps while traveling up or downstairs
- Waxed or polished stairs without non-skid surfaces
Environmental conditions are another contributor to slip and fall accidents. These hazards include:
- Flooring transitions, from one flooring material to another
- Cords running throughout the walkway
- Bright lighting, causing glare on shiny floor surfaces
- Debris, trash, or other objects on the floor
- Poor lighting that causes poor visibility
- Open cabinets and drawers
Most Common Injuries a Victim Sustain in a Slip and Fall Accident
Many people think that when other slip and fall, no serious injuries can take place. However, that’s not the case, especially with older people.
- Spinal cord injuries
- Nerve damage
- Hip fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Bulging disc and pinched nerves
- Soft tissue injuries
- Sprained ligaments
- Broken bones
- Brain injuries
These serious injuries can result in thousands of dollars in hospitalization and medical treatment. It also leaves victims suffering from pain and missing work to heal fully.
Get the Help You Need. Schedule a Free Consultation with a First-Class California Slip and Fall Lawyer
Our California slip and fall lawyer at the Oktanyan Der-Grigorian Law Group have the knowledge and expertise to handle your case. Our compassion and experience enable us to work one-on-one with our clients so we can serve them better.
Our initial priority is to help you secure fair compensation for your fast recovery. We’ll handle your case efficiently while you focus on your complete healing. Call us today, and let’s discuss your case at no obligation. We work on a contingency basis. No win means no pay, and that’s a promise.